We are interested in learning about the personal experiences of Black/African American women in various stages of the computing pipeline, including undergraduate women, graduate students, early-career professionals, seasoned professionals and entrepreneurs, and both positive and negative factors that contribute to their ability to persist in the field of Computing. We are particularly interested in why Black/African American women chose Computing or other related fields as a major, any experiences that have impacted their sense of belonging in the Computing community, their social capital (e.g., professional networks, mentors and other support mechanisms), and their ability to persevere in the field. To participate in this study watch the video below and sign the IRB form listed below. This research is funded by the National Science Foundation ECR Building Capacity in STEM Education Research Grant 1937759
Social Capital Benchmark Survey
We are interested in understanding Black women’s social capital, specifically their social connections to family members, friends, co-workers, and other affiliations. If you identify as a Black woman in computing, we ask that you to complete the Social Capital Benchmark Survey. All participants who complete the survey will receive a $30 Amazon gift card as compensation. To participate in this study, please select one of two options:
1. Use the QR code above OR the link below to access the Social Capital Benchmark Survey. (Signature of the IRB Consent form is required prior to completing the survey.)
2. Upon completion of the Social Capital Benchmark survey, please send an email to receive your $30 Amazon gift card compensation.
Black Women Digital Narratives
We are interested in analyzing Black women’s personal narratives in computing for positive and negative factors that contribute to Black women’s persistence in computing. If you identify as a Black woman in computing, we ask you to record a video. All participants who complete and send in their video will receive a $50 Amazon gift card as compensation. To participate in this study, please follow the steps below.
- Take a look at the video above to hear Dr. Yolanda Rankin share her story.
- In order to participate in this study, you must read over and sign the IRB consent form.
- Once, you have signed the IRB Consent form, follow these instructions to record your story.
- Please send me your story using the contact page (audio only is required). Once I receive your story, you will receive a $50 gift card for sharing your experience navigating the computing ecosystem.